Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I can craft?! Who knew!

So I finally finished up Sammy's nursery with this awesome mobile I made.  I'm pretty impressed with myself because if you know me, you know that I don't craft at all!  In fact it shouldn't even be possible, but in high school I got a C in abstract art.  Really! 

One of the girls from the October 2011 baby board I am on made this for her son's room after seeing it on etsy.  I instantly fell in love.  I had searched for months when pregnant and just couldn't find something I liked.  I was going to do pom poms over Sammy's changing table, but after not thinking it through and letting the ones from my shower get thrown away I just couldn't stomach remaking them.
Here is Sammy's DIY mobile.


Here is the tutorial and a pic from Shannon's blog scrapyardcards.  (check out the rest of her blog, she is amazing with scrapbooking cards)

I made a few changes to her instructions based on my laziness:
After poking holes in the hundred or so circles I couldn't fathom stringing them and then crimping beads to them.  Instead, I ran them thru my sewing machine.  Learning to use my sewing machine wasn't pleasant, but it was better than stringing circles and crimping beads.  Here's a tutorial and a few pictures.  Do you see my little helper at the end of the table?  He's so cute, my first boy.

Notice the manual for the sewing machine.  Took me so long to figure out how to sew, I ran out of time and had to multi task and pump at the same time.  Queue in hands free pumping bra




I also hot glued the strings to the top of the mobile instead of tying them.  Another lazy step.

0 comments:

Post a Comment