Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Mama's heart

I've always thought about how awesome it is that so much of a baby's first year goes by gradually but quickly.  There is no way I would be able to handle 0-60 from newborn to toddler any faster than it already seems to be happening; hello college?! 

Sometimes when all you want is to relax and have your baby take a nap, it doesn't seem like the end of the day will come soon enough.  Yet in the next breath, you are hoping your baby wakes so you can go smell his sweet breath and feel his silky soft warm head.

Anyways, my three readers, already know that's how I feel. 

The reason for the post is this awesome poem found here on drmomma.org:

The last nursing picture of me and Sammy (of course, bailey too!).  Jan '12, time to snap some photos, before this special time is gone!

I know I look so big to you,

Maybe I seem too big for the needs I have.

But no matter how big we get,

We still have needs that are important to us.

I know that our relationship is growing and changing,

But I still need you. I need your warmth and closeness,

Especially at the end of the day

When we snuggle up in bed.

Please don't get too busy for us to nurse.

I know you think I can be patient,

Or find something to take the place of a nursing -

A book, a glass of something,

But nothing can take your place when I need you.

Sometimes just cuddling with you,

Having you near me is enough.

I guess I am growing and becoming independent,

But please be there.

This bond we have is so strong and so important to me,

Please don't break it abruptly.

Wean me gently,

Because I am your mother,

And my heart is tender.



~ Cathy Cardall

0 comments:

Post a Comment